11.4.09

A River Runs through it...

By coincidence, my husband and I ended up with a child-free (and commitment void) day. We can't remember when our last day alone was and when surprisingly faced with this welcomed gift, we had no idea what to do. Sleeping in was a treat. Running those pesky but necessary errands which kept getting pushed to the background of life was both time consuming and relaxing. No contradiction there on this particular day. 
We ended up going for a late lunch. Chicken and fruit was the plan, and oh I how I needed some real and healthy food after eating on the run nearly every day so far this baseball season. 
When they say "Mile High Nachos," they mean it, and they were delicious. oops!
After dinner (and the customary brew -thru Dick's Sporting Goods), Troy decided to go for a drive. A million things raced through my mind and they all started with, "I need to..." My silent opinion was that I wanted to head home to fulfill all that made my head spin. 
Oblivious to those musings Troy drove on. When we were dating, one of our favorite things to do was drive down by the river. Now the boys love it as much as we use to, but somehow the way we use to experience the journey has changed. Romance and reflection has been replaced with roving ducks and river debris. And that's ok
We journeyed hand in hand, like old times, along the riverside on this cool spring day. Slowly we traveled both the road and the years. We noticed the ducks and debris, the red-buds and the wintry-naked riverbank, and everything in between. Our eyes took in so much, but our hearts overflowed with great memories. Memories that gave birth to our dreams. Dreams which pave the last twenty years of our lives. The reflections were so rich that I think we forgot to close our eyes in favor of new hope. Or, maybe we realize that anything added to our lives from here is just extra. I cannot imagine a wish more wonderful than the life which God has so richly  blessed us with.
Another moment in time that I will forever treasure. It's a memoir in both my mind and my heart, and a river runs through it.
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment